Skull 51 mm
Recapturing the essence of time
With the Skull Light, HYT wanted to create the ultimate model to honour of the brand's first boutique, which recently opened in Kuala Lumpur. This exceptional piece combines all the key innovations the brand has developed in recent years. It represents the very heights of HYT's expertise.
The watch includes the famous historic calibre from HYT's founding piece. Entirely developed in-house and driven by two bellows which circulate liquids within its glass capillary to display the time… This is watchmaking for the third millennium, featuring fluid time!
For the animated Skull collection, HYT has developed a new capillary. It perfectly outlines the shape of the skull, which takes centre stage. The power reserve indicator sits in the right eye socket, which gets darker as the piece reaches the end of its 65-hour power reserve. The left eye socket houses the seconds indicator. Continuously rotating, these two discs bring the watch to life. The skull itself, made from black DLC titanium, sits on a dial featuring a Clous de Paris stud finish. Each of its contours is highlighted by 5N gold hand-bevelling. The bezel and indices also boast this same exclusive finish.
Finally, to take the level of innovation even further, HYT has combined these two with a third: the first electro-mechanical source ever designed for an haute horlogerie piece. Underneath the rider at 6 o'clock are two LEDs. Activated manually, they brightly illuminate the inside of the watch. The green liquid, containing a special fluorescent dye, is excited by this light source and glows vividly! At the same time, the wash of light flows into every nook and cranny of the skull, literally bringing this skeleton architecture to life, and defying the laws of watchmaking.
It is powered by a purely mechanical source of energy. The generator is nestled in the middle of the case between 4 and 5 o'clock. It is invisible, and activated by the push-piece located opposite. The mechanism is inspired by a dynamo: the conversion of mechanical power into electricity. This micro-generator is charges by rotating the push-button at 4:30. Then, pressing this same push-button will activate the two LEDs which light up and bathe the Skull Light in a gentle blue glow for up to fifteen seconds, after which the mechanism needs to be rewound. No batteries or electronics are required for this function: the process is completely mechanical. There were three factors that made it particularly complex to develop: the extreme miniaturisation, the curved shape, and the fact, once again, that no development of this type had ever been achieved before. Success has made the Skull Light a hub of the most exclusive innovations ever designed by HYT.
- Black DLC titanium and 5N gold with brushed, micro-blasted and polished finishes
- Diameter: 51 mm
- Height: 17.9 mm
- Screw-down time-setting crown at 2:30, sheathed in rubber
- Screw-down crown and lighting push-button at 4:30, sheathed in rubber
- Skull bevelling in 5N gold
- Domed sapphire crystal
- Screw-down sapphire case-back
- Water-resistant to 50 metres
- Retrograde green fluid hours;
- Mechanical LED lighting
- Mechanical with manual winding, exclusive HYT calibre
- 28,800 Vph, 4 Hz, 35 jewels
- Bridges hand-bevelled and adorned with Côtes de Genève, rhodium-plated bellows
- 65-hour power reserve
HYT’s exclusive patented micro-fluidic module:
- Two multi-layer metal bellows
- Capillary tube in medical grade glass, with interior nano-coating
- Two immiscible liquids; one transparent and the other coloured with a highly resistant dye
- Thermal compensator with dedicated bellows containing a special liquid
- Ceramic fluid restrictors
Light mechanical module:
- System activation and winding function with push-button crown at 4:30
- Micro-generator system triggered by pressing the push-button crown at 4:30.
- Unstructured, fluid hour display
- Black hour dial, 5N indices and numerals
- Seconds indicator (left eye)
- Power reserve indicator (right eye)
Black alligator leather, black DLC titanium deployant buckle