HYT's retro contemporary U-turn
Contemporary classic or futuristic retro? As its name suggests, the H2 Tradition is a meeting of the two. It is the first HYT with classic guilloché finishes. It is the first HYT with delicate lacquered dials and blued hands. However, underneath this mantle of light, the H2 Tradition has both feet firmly in the 21st century. It retains its hydro-mechanical aesthetic, thanks to the capillary with the blue fluid moving forwards as the hours pass. It is driven by two bellows positioned either side of 6 o'clock, developed in 2013 on the very first H2. The traditional side is expressed by the diamond guilloché main plate, the ogival shaped crown and its blued hands: HYT wanted it to be classical and easy to read, with the most subtle of aesthetics.
This constant balance between tradition and modernity is more complex than it seems. HYT had to modify the design of the H2's calibre. The goal? To give it a more classic appearance, in line with the aesthetic canons of haute horlogerie.
The balance, for example, has been recentred to provide room on the dial for the minutes. This simple shift meant a large part of the movement's design had to be overhauled, a feat once again achieved by HYT's long-standing partners, APRP. The case has also been re- designed, with the crown protector removed, in yet another nod towards the codes of watchmaking tradition.
The finish of the H2 Tradition also required a number of adjustments. To allow for a diamond guilloché finish in rhodium-plated nickel silver on both sides, the main plate, for example, had to be made slightly thicker, which in turn meant new tolerances had to be calculated for the movement. All the bridges have been modified, reconstructed, polished, hand-bevelled. As with all HYT's creations, the H2 Tradition is best appreciated in terms of perspective and volume.
Polished, microblasted and satin-finished white gold and titanium
- Diameter: 48.8 mm
- Height: 17.9 mm
- Screw-down titanium dynamometric crown
- Titanium case middle with light anthracite grey PVD coating
- Rider at 6 o’clock, Roman numeral, titanium filled with blue varnish
- Domed sapphire crystal (box) with anti-reflection coating
- Screw-down sapphire case-back
- Water-resistant to 50 metres
Retrograde fluidic hours; minutes, seconds
- Crown position indicator (H-N-R)
Mechanical with manual winding, exclusive HYT calibre
- 21,600 Vph, 3 Hz, 28 jewels
- Microblasted and stainless steel polished bridges with polished and locked internal angles
- Diamond guilloché main plate in rhodium-plated nickel silver, rhodium-plated bellows
- 192-hour (8-day) power reserve
- Lacquered varnished hour dial with 4N treatment, black Roman numerals
- Lacquered varnished minute dial (12 o’clock) and seconds dial (2:30) with 4N treatment; blued minute hand
- Black indices (minutes, seconds) and Arabic numerals
Patent blue alligator and titanium deployant buckle
Limited edition of 50 pieces